Company: Des Moines Symphony
The Des Moines Symphony seeks an energetic, motivated and creative self-starter with strong organizational skills to join its organization as a Marketing Manager.
The Des Moines Symphony is a not-for-profit, professional orchestra formed in 1937 to enrich, educate and inspire the community by performing great orchestral music. The Symphony Association, governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees and operating on an annual budget of more than $4.6 million, supports the Symphony Academy and its numerous music education programs including four youth orchestras, and supports the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra which performs seven pairs of Masterworks concerts, a three-concert Pops Series including the traditional New Year’s Eve Pops, education, outreach and family concerts, and other special events in its home at the Des Moines Civic Center. The Des Moines Symphony also produces and performs a summertime Water Works Pops series as well as the Symphony’s annual Yankee Doodle Pops concert in July on the grounds of the Iowa State Capitol, which attracts more than 100,000, the largest single day attendance of any concert event in the State.
The salary range for this position is $35,000-$40,000, commensurate with experience. Medical, dental, life insurance, 401(K) and vacation benefits are provided.
Working closely with the Director of Marketing & Public Relations and collaborating with the wider administrative team, the Marketing Manager’s primary responsibilities include regular reporting and forecasting of ticket sales along with ROI calculations and post-campaign analysis. The Marketing Manager is responsible for maintaining accurate subscriber and single ticket buyer information and will work closely with the Marketing Director on creating and assessing the success of strategic marketing campaigns across digital and print mediums. In addition, the Marketing Manager serves as brand manager for the Des Moines Symphony Academy. The Marketing Manager works closely with the Symphony’s ticketing partners, builds and maintains community alliances, and is the primary customer service contact for Symphony subscribers.
The Symphony’s Marketing Department is responsible for expanding community outreach efforts, providing customer service to Symphony patrons, ensuring consistent growth in subscriber and single ticket volume and revenue, and managing all Des Moines Symphony & Academy public relations efforts.
Some evening and weekend hours for performances and events are required.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of experience in marketing or a comparable field
- Active interest and knowledge in local and national arts and audience trends
- Experience working with Google Analytics, Facebook for Business, and associated digital platforms
- Google Ads certifications and Google Data Studio experience preferred
- Comfortability working with database management systems; experience with Tessitura or Patron Manager a plus
- Keen eye for digital trends and emerging marketing strategies
- Strong social media skills including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, with keen attention to punctuation and grammar
- Outstanding organizational and planning abilities
- Uncompromising attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
How to Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to Megan Helmers, Director of Marketing & Public Relations at email@example.com. Application screening will begin immediately. Writing samples may be requested.
Please note, all employees are currently working in a hybrid work environment with access available as needed to the Symphony's offices at the Temple for Performing Arts in downtown Des Moines.